When you are travelling to Manali then keeping a day aside for exploring the beauty of Rohtang Pass is the most essential thing to do. Rohtang pass that got its name from the number of people working in CBRE died while trying to cross this treacherous pass is just 51 km away from Manali. This land is known for its spectacular beauty and in recent 6 months, it got its popularity after being accessible to the public. It connects two beautiful valleys of Lahaul – Spiti and Himachal Pradesh – Manali. Manali tour package.
The pass is at 3978 metres up on the hills. As you will go up on the hills through Manali- Keylong road, the view will leave you spellbound. Many bikers travel several of km just to explore the mesmerizing beauty of this pass. Not only this, but from “Jab We Met” to “Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani” many blockbusters were also shot on this pass. So, now you may have got the hint for the beauty of this pass. Look for your dream Manali Tour here.
Best time to explore Rohtang Pass:
Rohtang Pass is known as the only pass that is covered with snow whole year. Due to heavy snowfall, it keeps closed during the months of November to May and opens its gates to visitors during the month of May to October only. Visitors from all over the world flock to this region to experience its beauty during this time. It is the best time to explore this pass complemented with snow-covered mountains, mesmerizing landscapes and beautiful valleys. Know someone getting married? Help him/her to get the best Shimla Manali Honeymoon packages on Tripshelf, Click Here.
Vehicle restrictions for Rohtang Pass:
- Only 1000 vehicles including public transport buses per day are allowed to visit Rohtang Pass.
- Out of which 725 should be Himachal registered and remaining 275 from other states.
- Further restricted to 60% as petrol vehicles and 40% as diesel vehicles, applied on all Himalayan and non-Himalayan vehicles.
- Congestion charges are Rs. 1000 for petrol vehicles and Rs. 2500 for diesel vehicles out of which if the vehicle has 6 or more people than these charges will be Rs. 5000.
- The time to go to Rohtang Pass for tourist vehicles is from 6 am to 12 pm only and to leave before 4 pm.
- The fine for violating the rules is Rs. 5000 and could be seized too. Click here to check 70+ Family Tour packages for Manali, & see the one suits you.
(Image Source: Evo India)
Rohtang Pass Permit:
- There are two different permits that you are mandatory to acquire. One is valid till Rohtang Pass and the other is required for travelling further Rohtang Pass.
- Permits should be taken from Manali Tourism Office or from the Taxi Union office for taxi and commercial vehicles.
- You can avail them online too at a charge of rs500 + rs.50 as congestion fees to National Green Tribunal.
- The permits can be obtained online at these times:
- 10:00 hrs (400 Petrol and 200 Diesel)
- 16:00 hrs (400 Petrol and 200 Diesel)
- Daily Permit limit for petrol vehicles is 800 and for diesel vehicles is 400.
- Permits are valid for the next 6 days from the date of issue.
- Documents Required in Original for Rohtang Pass Permit are Valid ID Proof, Vehicle Registration Date (vehicle should not be older than 10 yrs) and Valid Pollution Under Check (PUC) Certificate.
- Printouts of all permissions are also necessary, so keep 2-3 copies handy.
Important: You cannot travel Rohtang Pass on Tuesday as it is the day kept for its maintenance. Click here to check 100+ Manali Tour itineraries, & see the one suits you.
(Image Source: Team BHP)
How to reach:
There are so many HRTC and HPTDC AC and Non-Ac buses that connect Manali to Rohtang Pass. If you are travelling from Delhi or Chandigarh then NH 21 will lead you to this beautiful pass. The journey to reach this pass is more beautiful than any other as you will come across the beautiful landscape with Beas River flowing on another side of the road. It is advised to hire a taxi or accompany an expert driver. Excited? Book your preferred Shimla Manali holiday from 100+ itineraries here.
(Image Source: Yash RazZ)
Tips for visiting:
- It is advised to take a full day aside to explore this pass.
- Leave early in the morning for Rohtang pass as it a narrow lane and get stuck with traffic quickly.
- Carry the necessary medicines if you are prone to altitude sickness.
- Don’t forget to carry woollen clothes and some snack with you.
- If you are not carrying woollens from your home then you can rent them there too. Compare the prices with those fixed by the government.
- Rohtang Pass is a difficult road, with high altitude. It is best advised to visit it in daylight.
- Don’t forget your camera. To check the best offer for Monsoon Holiday Packages & Know how to get a free travel voucher, Click here!
(Image Source: travelersmuse)
Activities at Rohtang Pass:
Sledge ride: It is a snow ride in which you slide through the snow in a wooden toboggan.
Heliskiing: It is one of the top adventure sport for which people visit Rohtang Pass. If you are visiting this place you must try it once.
Mountain Biking: If you love biking then you must try riding one on the lesser taken routes of this pass. But it a quite rough trek so you must keep extra care here. Look for your dream Manali Tour here.
Paragliding: Flying in the air in itself is a great adventure and when it is over the snow-covered mountains nothing can be better than that.
Snow Scooter Driving: Snow Scooter Driving is quite popular in Rohtang Pass and visitors from all over the world come to explore this amazing activity.
Photography: The mesmerizing snow-covered mountains and beautiful landscape in Rohtang Pass are more like heaven for photographers and nature lovers. Click here to check 70+ Family Tour packages for Manali, & see the one suits you.
(Image Source: travelersmuse)
Accommodation in Rohtang Pass:
In spite of very few budget guesthouses while going up the pass there is no accommodation in Rohtang. So if you are planning to this pass you may have to stay at some nearby hotels in Manali and start your journey early morning.
In Manali, you will find a lot of hotels, guesthouses, homestays, cottages etc for your all kinds of budgets. Can’t wait for a romantic trip to Shimla Manali? Call: 011-49058399 or, Click Here to select your preferred itinerary.
Some nearest accommodations to Rohtang Pass are:
1. Solang Valley Resort
Distance- 8.4km from Rohtang Pass.
2. Oyo 24046 The Orchid Inn
Distance- 9km from Rohtang Pass.
Tariff- Rs.1284 per night for 2 guests.
3. Sky One Ski Resort by One Hotels
Distance- 8.5km from Rohtang Pass.
Tariff- Rs.3760 per night for 2 guests.
4. Solang holiday Inn
Distance- 8.6km from Rohtang Pass.
5. The Cider
Distance- 10km from Rohtang Pass.
Tariff- Rs.1920 per night for 2 guests.
*The above data may vary please check before booking your stay. Click here to check 100+ Manali Tour itineraries, & see the one suits you.
Top Places to explore near Rohtang Pass are:
1. Solang Valley
2. Nehru Kund
3. Vashisht Hot Water Springs
4. Hadimba Temple
5. Lahaul & Spiti valley
8. Rahala waterfalls
Know someone getting married? Help him/her to get the best Shimla Manali Honeymoon packages on Tripshelf, Click Here.
(Header Image Source: Sougata Sinha)